Here at the Orchard Pre-school we have adapted the High/Scope approach to learning.
What is High/Scope?
High/Scope is a quality approach to early childhood care and education which has been shaped and developed by research and practice over a forty year period. It identifies and builds on children's strengths, interests and abilities.
What happens during a High/Scope session?
- Children engage in enjoyable active participatory learning experiences throughout the setting
- Children plan their activities, carry them out and reflect on them
- Children choose, use and return materials
- Children solve problems and resolve conflicts with adult support
- Opportunities for children to play alone and together in small and large groups
- Adults use the child observation record to observe, encourage and support children's development and learning
- Children and adults play, talk and learn together as partners
Activities that happen throughout the day include:
story time with discussion, singing and nursery rhymes, role-play, craftwork, cooking, sand and water play, construction and outdoor play.
We also have a lending library available to encourage children to read books at home.